Friday, January 18, 2019

Going to the Movies


Going to the movie theaters; that’s something so many people do around the world without a second thought (except maybe if they should do extra butter on their popcorn). But when you have RSD/CRPS that is rarely if ever the question (or at least not the main one).

I’ve read on blogs where some people with RSD/CRPS can never go to the movie theaters. The coldness of the theater, the seating not always being the most comfortable, the noise, vibrations, and all the other people is just sensory overload and they will spend days recovering from it. Another person I know can go to the movies without a problem. I’m in the middle. I can go to the movies but have to make preparations so I can enjoy myself and not pay for it hours and days afterwards. I thought I would share what I do and maybe some of those things can help you!

If I’m going to the movies, I’m having a really good day, like my muscles aren’t spasming and my pain levels are lower, always take into consideration how you are feeling overall before you decide what to do. And never feel bad if you can’t go!! It is not your fault! I’ve been having to remind myself of this on a plethora of things this week.

1) What you go to see. I rarely if ever go to the theater to see a movie with explosions or things of that nature. When I heard those things in real life I get muscle convulsions and my pain levels immediately go up. So, in the theater where you hear and feel all of that probably 5 times worse, it may be the smartest idea to wait until that movie comes to DVD or something where you have full control over the volume.

2) The time when you go see the movie is important. I like to go for a matinee, about a week or so after the movie was released, on a weird weekday where everyone is at work or school, so you won’t have the crowds to contend with. My mom, sister, and I just went to a movie this week and we were the only people in that theater! It was great!

3) Where you sit. I like to sit up towards the top and farther from the screen. Look for where the speakers are and avoid sitting next to them or under them. I find that the middle of the theater I go to is usually pretty good. Get there early to find that spot that will work for you, so you’ll always know where to go to grab your seats.

4) What to wear. The theater temperature is usually pretty cool. (interpret as really cold if you have CRPS/RSD). So, layer. No matter how hot it is outside I always wear jeans to the movie theater. Always wear socks and shoes, never sandals. I wear a t-shirt (sometimes with a cami on underneath), a lightweight sweatshirt or button up, and then pack a heavier sweatshirt in my backpack so if my arms get cold or need something to throw over my legs. That is for summer. In the winter I skip the lightweight sweatshirt go for the heavier one and have my jacket for extra warmth or to throw over my legs like a blanket.

5) Volume control. Movie theaters always have their sounds up so high (which I think is weird, but…) my Aunt told me about how her friend who is sensitive to noise used earplugs when she went to see a movie. I did my own research and found a pair and they have been a game changer! It does take some getting use to, but it takes the sound from deafening movie theater volume to a tv that is turned up just a notch or two too loud. I find that that level doesn’t bother me much.

6) Pain management. Try to plan to go to the movies so that your pain medication (anxiety medication, whatever you are on) is scheduled that you take one when you go in to the movie and one soon after you come out (if that is possible with your medication, it is with mine). This has helped to keep my pain levels and anxiety down during the movie and then it doesn’t creep up after the movie because now I’m coming off of all that stimulation. As always Take your medication responsibly and as prescribed!

So those are the 6 things that I do so I can go to the movies occasionally and enjoy myself! And give my answer to the extra butter question (it's Yes!)

I hope some of this helps you!

Be kind to yourself!
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment